Sunday, July 18, 2010

Outtake




My Carl Jung story in the current issue of Mome was originally 20 pages instead of 19. This page, which was to go between pages 9 and 10, was thought to be a bit of a tangent from the story when I showed my roughs to friends. It was a hard one to let go, because I liked how the drawing was coming together, but sometimes that's what needs to happen.

When I roughed the story out, I used photos from the internet and Google maps for reference on the Cathedral and surrounding buildings. Between roughing it and finishing it, I squeezed a trip to Basel onto a Europe trip for more research. The only thing I would have changed was the first panel of this page. That is not Jung's school. I'm not sure where I got that from, but I was wrong. It turns out it didn't matter, since the page was cut.

Basel is a great city with a really good comic shop called Comix Shop (imagine that).


**Comic-Con News**

For the first time in a long time, I won't have a table in the small press area of Comic Con this year. I applied, but was rejected and wasn't given a reason why. So I'll be there only as a spectator on Friday and Saturday, shopping and saying hi to friends. It could be a relaxing and fun experience, but I'm not sure that relaxing and Comic Con go together.

4 comments:

Jeff Chapman said...

Robert Goodin,

I can't believe you're not going to have a table at SDCC this year. That's nuts. A SDCC without you at that same table back by the bathrooms is a lot like ... like ... something bad and empty and rotten. After you've been there for so many years, you should have clear priority.

Still, I hope to see you sometime Friday or Saturday.

cheers,

Jeff

Jon said...

This page is awesome. Is this issue of Mome out yet? I can't wait to read the story in real life.

Robert Goodin said...

Hey Jon, I think there has been problems getting Mome to comic stores, but a friend did pick up a copy at a bookstore. Shame we weren't in the same issue, then you'd have one easy!

RT Swagger said...

Thaank you for sharing